This salad obviously has a high nutritional value. We all have heard of the famous Greek Salad know as horiatiki in Greek. It is basically a salad with tomatoes, cucumber, feta and some other condiments, but tomatoes are tasteless in the winter so in the cold months, Greeks eat 2 types of salads: green salads (prasini salata) or cabbage and carrot salad (lahano-karoto). Inspired by olivetomato.com
Classic Greek Winter Salad
- 10 cups shredded cabage (about 1 ½ pounds or 700 grams)
- 4 carrots shredded
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Kalamata olives
- Use a shredder to shred cabbage or slice thinly with a knife. Soak in water, rinse and dry.
- Shred the carrots.
- In a jar or small bowl mix the olive oil, lemon juice and minced garlic.
- Place cabbage and carrots in a large bowl, pour the dressing and add the salt. Toss the salad (it will reduce in volume).
- Add the olives on top.